07 October 2008

Award Winning

Unkommon Kolor!!! can now add “award winning” to its accolades. The good people over at Lone Star Comics had a “paint a Munny” contest and of course we had to put our stamp on it. I mean after all, we like Munnys, and we like painting, it was essentially our competition to lose. The rules were simple. Purchase a Munny. Use only the materials in the room. Finish before the store closed. Oh yeah, and make all the other competitors quit in the process. Simple! Admittedly that last rule wasn’t as much a “rule” as it was something that just happened. Let me explain.

While Arif and I worked on our entries we glanced around the room and realized pretty early, we were going to SMASH the competition. This was everyone else’s first Munny… They didn’t quite understand the complexity involved in painting a soft vinyl toy. So, as I laid on coat after coat of acrylic paint, I tried to keep what I was working on to myself. I typically start on the body, and work on the face last since it will be the most detailed. But this time was different. I started on the body, because I knew if I started on the head people would get intimidated. But oh how I underestimated my abilities and their insecurities.

As I was adding the final details to the body I was ever so careful to keep secret, one of the judges walked around the room asking everyone what they were working on. Various responses chimed in, then she got to me and with nothing more than a painted body with no arms or head, said, “oh… wow… I see you’re doing the Joker”. Once she let the “cat out the bag”, everyone turned their heads toward me trying to steal a glimpse. And as I added the pinstripes to the pants, I realized I wasn’t going to be able to keep what I was working on a secret much longer. I rotated the body to work on the back of the pants and that’s when it began. “ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!” “…there’s no need for me to even finish this” “…well I guess we know who won this” “I QUIT!!!” I acted as if I couldn’t hear them through my iPod earbuds, and kept working. Shortly afterward my phone died which meant my reference photo died, and my music died as well. So, I went out to the car, to revive my now comatose phone, and take a much needed break. After about 15 minutes of sitting in the car, I walked back into the store to find that only Arif was still working on his Munny. I asked “everyone else taking a break too?” He responded “nope… they all left.” “After they saw what you were working on, they packed up and went home.”

Now I’ve done quite a few things in my lifetime that have impressed even me. But make a room full of people quit because of a half finished painting… that tops the list. Unkommon Kolor!!!, making people drop out of competitions since… ok since last Saturday. So what it hasn’t been that long, have YOU ever made a room full of people quit? Then SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!

Lone Star Comics displayed the finished (and purposefully unfinished) Munnys in a display case for one week allowing their customers time to vote on which one they liked the best and I’m happy to report that the results are in and Unkommon Kolor’s Joker Munny won first place! Some of you more “hatin-istic” people might mention, “of course you won, besides Arif, no one else finished theirs” and to you I say, we would have won even if they had finished! Check the pictures!

Oh yeah before you do that though, be sure to add us (Unkommon Kolor) on Myspace. Now you may click on the image.

PEACE
ONE GOD ONE LOVE
J

One response to “Award Winning”

Leave a Reply